Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Teaching and Education

Training as a TEFL teacher

Teachers of English as a foreign language (TEFL) are often employed to work abroad, but there are also language schools and colleges that hire English language teachers in the UK. Work in the UK tends to be seasonal and summer is the busiest period.

There are many English language teaching qualifications. The most widely recognised are:

  • The University of Cambridge accredited CELTA - Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
  • The Trinity College London accredited Cert. TESOL - Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

TEFL job boards

International graduate teaching programmes

ELT at Sussex

You can take the English Language Teaching (ELT) elective pathway as part of your degree. It runs over two years and will lead to a TESOL (level 5) Trinity College London qualification.

You can choose to take the 15 credit elective starting in your 1st or 2nd year (check with your school). There will be two sessions per week over four terms. Autumn terms are theoretical and Spring terms are practical.

You must be a native or near native speaker of English with English at a C1 level/IELTS 7