Skip to main content

Teaching: Work in Further Education


Further Education

Working with post 16 students


Further Education differs in some important respects to Primary and Secondary Education in terms of training, this page discusses some of these differences.


To qualify to train as a Further Education teacher it is necessary to have a Higher Education qualification in the topic you want to teach, or to have considerable practical experience in this area

Many jobs require applicants to have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) although some merely require the willingness to obtain the qualification while working

It is possible to acquire Qualified Teacher Status while studying through a Post-Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)

When you start working, you will be expected to work towards a further qualification with Standards Verification UK

Training on The Job

If you enter a teaching position without teaching qualifications, it is necessary for you to do on the job training. Your institution may support you through one of these courses:

  • Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Sector (PTLLS) - This is a minimum requirement for teaching, and is required within a year of starting a job
  • Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Sector (CTLLS) - This will qualify you to be an Associate Teacher. This award, or the DTLLS must be obtained within five years of starting a job
  • Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS) - This is a step up from the Certificate

These awards are usually obtained while working, it is possible to get on courses without having a job, however this usually requires substantial teaching experience


Guardian - Further Education