Skip to main content

Languages (Interpreting & Teaching): TEFL



Teaching English

What's on this page?

This guide contains information about teaching English as a foreign language

  • Introduction The difference between different courses, and how the sector works
  • Jobs - Websites where you can find work in this field
  • Finding a Course - How to find a qualification
  • Blogs and News - Websites you might want to use to learn more about the sector


Teaching in UK schools

Modern languages teachers are in high demand in UK secondary schools, in particular teachers of French, German and Spanish.


Teachers of English as a foreign language (TEFL) are often employed to work abroad, but there are also language schools and colleges that hire English language teachers in the UK.

Work in the UK tends to be seasonal and summer is the busiest period.

There are many English language teaching qualifications. The most widely recognised are:

  • The University of Cambridge accredited CELTA - Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
  • The Trinity College London accredited Cert. TESOL - Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Which qualification is best for you will depend on where and who you want to teach, but in most cases an intensive (usually 4 weeks) or extensive (3 – 6 months) training course will be the first step.

The Sussex Centre for Language Studies runs intensive programmes leading to the award of the Trinity Certificate on site at the University.  In addition, students on the undergraduate elective pathway in ELT may also be eligible for this award.



These sites contain information on where to find work.

The British Council is especially active in promoting English abroad, and offers opportunities for funding and graduate work

Finding a Course

Blogs and News

Reading news about the sector can help you find out what the work is like and what issues are important to people in the sector